Sunday, November 25, 2007

Moab Weather and More!!!

Ah the weather. Ask me if I thought that I have to be a weather forecaster when I started Red River Adventures and my answer would have been a resounding NO.

That however is not the case. I am constantly asked about the weather.

From the "what's it like in (month your visiting Moab here) to will it rain tomorrow. Weather it turns out is a large part of what I talk about. I've got to admit that my weather geekness goes quite deep and back in fact to my childhood. I grew up on the east coast and surfed. Weather systems are what makes waves in the east so early on when not in the water I could be found watching the Weather Chanel and listening to the NOAA radio for the latest updates. Now that I ski, climb and raft weather plays a huge roll in what and when I do what I do.

So besides looking out the window here are some of the places I look at to figure out what is going to happen.

The first and best place for Moab weather and your local forecast is the National Weather Service. Simply type in your zip code and you'll get to everything you need from the "at a glance" forecast to radar to my personal favorite, satellite imagery.

The 4k infrared loop gives you a great idea of what's coming and how strong what's coming is. I'll often look at this and local radar to get a handle on rain and snow.

After looking at what's coming at me I will always read the forecast discussion. The discussion is the raw version of the forecast and it offers a great look into what the folks at the NWS are actually thinking. It's the regional head forecasters best guess at what happens, when and why. A forecast of the forecast type of thing. Timing of storms is often discussed as well as the forecasters opinion on whether what the weather models are showing is accurate in their opinion.

Lastly, if something important is on the calendar starting a week and a half out I will check the Weather.com 10 day forecast. Sometimes very accurate, sometimes not so much this should definitely be taken with a grain of salt.

Pray for snow!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is just something beautiful about the desert in Utah. It is so cool how it changes over the seasons of the year. There is so much interesting geological finding in Moab too, with the layout of the rocks. http://worldwideriver.com